Packing 101: College Packing Tips From the Moving Company Pros
By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
Your college dorm packing help is below. Take it from the packing and moving company professionals at A-1 Freeman Moving Group in Killeen; you've got this, moms and dads! Selecting new matching room decorations and desk amenities is usually a large amount of fun for kids and eager parents however fitting it all into place might not be so enjoyable. It doesn't demand a structural engineering major to pack for school, but listed below are a professional moving company’s guidelines to help you maximize your child's limited dorm room without the hassle.
· The dorm room will likely be compact and probably a shared space - Consequently make a list of the essential things which you will want to start with. You might even begin this list on your own prior to when you include your student. Let's face it, your child is much more prone to leave behind toothpaste before they abandon their Wireless speakers.
o Personal care - Start out with a small plastic caddy with a handle. It is easy to keep your items separate from your roommate's, and it's easy to take and go when you have to get in and out of a group bathroom. Be sure it is durable. There are usually a lot of excursions down the hall within the next few years.
o Bedding - Ten stuffed animals which take up your son or daughter's bed at your house is not essential bedding. Begin with the mattress sheets, blanket, and pillow/pillowcase. Be sure to consult with the college if special sized bed sheets will be required. Throw pillows look wonderful the first day you set up the space, but in a small space environment they may be tossed to the side regularly. Keep the throw pillows to a minimum.
o School necessities - Let's not forget just what your kid is moving into a dormitory for. If at all possible, figure out ahead of time if there is built-in storage around the desk area. You may want to pack some small desk organizers. Make sure to go vertical along with stacking compartments because desk room will be limited. You might want a small lamp fixture for the late-night studying in the event the roommate wants to go to sleep, but your student needs to study late for a crucial test. A clip-on clamp style mount is helpful since it works extremely well at the desk as well as other areas.
· Coordinate with your new roomie - You definitely do not require 2 mini fridges, 2 microwaves, and 2 televisions. The top college move-in oversight - double dipping on appliances. Don't fret about choosing the perfectly coordinated appliances, realize the roommate already has it in place. Don't forget, there will be restricted area in the college dorm, and also limited electrical outlets too. Speaking of few outlets, make certain and add a surge protector or two to the list.
· Check with the college or university concerning items that you aren't permitted to have in your dorm room - Clearly, this could immediately eliminate some dorm packing worry right off the bat.
· Do not pack outfits for the complete year - Only take what is needed for the season or until the next time you're going to be heading home. Parents, they shall be back - quicker than you think. Closet and drawer space really are a premium in dorms, therefore just focus on one semester at a time. The challenging part is making sure the student brings home the clothing they'll not need for the next semester so there will be available space for the replacement clothing.
· Be certain and pack cleaning necessities, hand sanitizer and masks - Thinking about the present Covid-19 status, a few extra safety measures are essential. It's easy to visualize your university student living in a bubble in the properly ordered dorm room. However this couldn't be any further from the truth. It will be close quarters and things will be shared, therefore having a means of cleaning them is vital.
Alright, Mom and Dad, you have got this. Break it down to necessities and organize wherever possible together with the roomie and school dorm officials. You have furnished an education for your child that's prepared him or her for a successful college career. So don't get schooled by over packing for your student's college dorm! You will find additional moving and packing advice provided at the A-1 Freeman Moving Group website. Make sure and take a look.
Request a free quote