Factors that Affect Your Moving Estimate
If you’re relocating, you probably have a lot of considerations—and a lot of costs. The last thing you should have to worry about are surprises when it comes to your estimated moving costs. That’s why you need to hire an experienced and creditable mover who will help you to uncoverways to reduce your moving expenses, and who will give you an accurate estimate of what those expenses will be.
How to Find a Great Company for Your Move in Killeen
First, you need to know not all moving companies are identical. Some are capable, reliable and trustworthy—others aren’t. According to Consumer Reports, for example:
“Some moving companies quote lowball prices and then, once the move is underway, hold their customers' property hostage until they pay much more. Others demand substantial deposits and then don't show up, says Katherine Hutt, a spokeswoman for the Better Business Bureau.”
The good news is that you can find a professional company to help you move by simply doing a little research. You can, for starters, certify their credentials (including their carrier number from the Department of Transportation) and search online ratings and complaints.
You should also review their website—the best movers are often recipients of recognized awards—like the Pinnacle Mover Designation Award and the North American Quality Award—and will often post these awards on their website.
How to Comprehend the Factors of Your Moving Costs in Killeen
Many determinants affect the cost of your move. For example, what you pay will be based partially on things such as the total weight of your possessions and the distance to your new residence. There are several other items, however, which will affect the cost of your moving estimate, including the following 6:
- Packing and crating costs: Remember, you’re paying your moving company for their time. Certainly, they will need more time if you ask them to pack your things. You can save money by packing some or all your things yourself. You can slash costs some more by taking apart large pieces of furniture rather than having the mover do it for you. Also, you’ll be billed more for certain kinds of packing and handling. For instance, if fragile items like artwork or a grandfather clock require crating, your cost will be greater.
- Poor accessibility to your pick-up or drop-off location in Killeen: If your current or future home is in a location which hinders access for a big truck (for instance, because of a narrow road or a weak bridge), your movers will need to find secondary mode to get your things out of your old home or to your new one. In this case, they may need to use smaller trucks to gain access. In this event, you will need to pay the mover a shuttle fee.
- Stairs or long walking distances: The cost of your move will also be more if there are very long stairs (or multiple stairs) which the movers need to maneuver your belongings up or down. You could also have to pay a long-carry fee if the span from the moving truck to the entrance of your residence is more than 50 feet.
- Narrow doors or hallways: If some of your things don’t fit through the door or down narrow hallways, a rigger might be required to hoist them through a window. In this case, you could be assessed a hoisting fee.
- Storage fees: This is one of the most common reasons for increased costs. If you must put into storage some or most of your belongings at the carrier’s warehouse because your new residence is not ready to be occupied, you’ll need to pay an additional storage fee.
- Time of year: Summer is the craziest moving time of the year, which means that moving in the summer will be more expensive. You can save money if you can execute your move from September to May. You’ll also pay more if you move on a national holiday or on the first or last day of the month (this is because rental agreements typically expire at these times, which means more people move then).
Moving companies don’t get a reputation for professionalism, reliability and trustworthiness by mistake—they earn it by helping their clients, giving them guidance and working hard to earn that trust. The most crucial thing you can do to ensure a safe move and lower your costs is to do business with the kind of moving company which cares about you and your family and will work day in and day out to ensure your complete satisfaction.
To learn more about our residential, office and corporate relocation services, contact us today.