By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
Whenever a move is on the horizon, we recognize that you have a great deal in your head. From informing your friends and relatives to house hunting to acquiring a moving company in Killeen, there’s no doubt about it that moving is a big undertaking, which calls for a great deal of preparation and organization. Feeling a little overwhelmed? Do not be anxious, we’ve got you covered! Our complete moving guide offers exactly what you will need for a streamlined and successful move to Killeen.
1. Visit your new city. Prior to determining to move anywhere, it’s usually a good idea to check out your new town. Sure, you could hit all the sights, but don’t only visit as a vacationer. Drive through subdivisions. Observe where super markets, service stations and schools are situated. Consider your life and how it would shift to this new place.
2. Examine schools. When you are checking out your new area, pinpoint the schools that your kids will probably be attending. Start looking at the surrounding neighborhoods and in addition carry out some research online to see how the public schools rank as well as what private school options are available in the area.
3. Generate a moving budget. Let’s be honest, moving isn’t low-cost. Even DIY options possess a hefty price tag. And if you are moving an extended distance, a professional mover in Killeen will certainly make the job less stressful. Don’t forget to add some additional for unexpected costs, because they often seem to arise. If you happen to be moving for a job, check with your employer to find out if any of your moving expenses can be covered.
4. Look for a place to call home. In the event that you have kids and have investigated what school you would like them to go to, the choices of a location in which to reside have very likely been narrowed down some. Nevertheless, regardless, a real estate agent can lead you through the home shopping process. A qualified realtor will show you properties in the choice area and be able to answer all of the concerns about the communities.
5. Research moving companies. Recruiting an honest professional mover in Killeen is crucial for your move. Perform your research by reviewing Google reviews and the BBB ratings. Talk with individuals who have moved not too long ago to discover what moving company they used. Obtain multiple quotes from various movers to compare. Ask questions if you don’t fully grasp anything on the quote and make certain you are comparing apples-to-apples. Remember, if a quote looks too good to be true, this is often a warning sign.
6. Decide on a moving date. In case you are planning to move in the midst of the summer months, you will need to get with your moving company in Killeen to confirm your preferred dates as far in advance as you can. Summertime is recognized as peak season for moving, therefore dates fill up rapidly. On the other hand, if you are wishing to move in the winter or early spring, you will probably have your choice of dates and might wind up paying a little less. You will usually pay a premium for moving throughout peak season.
7. Get started accumulating your moving supplies. By collecting boxes currently, you can be a little step ahead when the time comes to pack. You can get boxes from your local moving company or from the majority of big box merchants. Don’t overlook several other moving materials, such as tape, bubble wrap, newsprint, box knife, etc.
8. Have a plan for packing. Before you actually conduct any packing, develop your plan. It is advisable to look through your things beforehand and choose what you are going to take with you and what you don’t want any longer. Have a yard sale or donate to a charity the things you don’t wish to move. Subsequently, you could start packing non-essential things such as basement and attic items as well as out-of-season items. After that, proceed to stuff that you won’t require for the next month or so. Delay until the days before moving day to pack things which you make use of frequently. Be sure and ask your moving company in case there are items which they can’t move within the moving van, including live plants, combustible things and perishable food. You will have to make alternate measures for this stuff.
9. Pack your suitcases, as well. When you will be on the road for several days and nights along the way to your new home, you will want attire and toiletries for the journey. Be sure and set apart precisely what you will require along the way so that those items don’t mistakenly get packed up and loaded on the moving van.
10. Generate travel arrangements. When you will be driving to your new home, plan your path and arrange your hotel rooms in advance. Likewise, if you are flying, decide on your airline and purchase your tickets. Keep in mind that you could have to stay in a hotel for a short time in your new city in case your things won’t be delivered straight away.
11. Transfer memberships and also files. When you've got a health club or golf club membership, look into shifting them to your new location. Also, you can ask your child’s school to send their records to the new school as well as for your health professionals and dental office.
12. Empty your storage space. You should probably go ahead and sort through your storage unit, too, and get rid of all things that you don’t have to have. Above that, make certain and tell the management of the unit that you will be moving your stuff out and make contact with them again once you have vacated the area.
13. Forward your mail. In recent times, it's easy to forward your postal mail to your new address. Simply go on to the USPS webpage and complete the necessary information. This is really a very easy step, however it’s frequently forgotten, so we wanted to bring it up.
14. Confirm your moving date with your mover. You will likely hear from your moving company in Killeen a couple of days or even a week before your move date, however if you haven’t, now will be a good time to go forward and reach out to them and make sure that your move dates still match what they have on the schedule for you. Last minute time adjustments aren't enjoyable for anybody, therefore it’s always beneficial for you to double check all of the details to make certain everybody is on the same page.
15. Cut-off and set-up your utilities. The timing of this part is essential since you don’t wish to be leaving your old house in the dark or moving into your new house with no heat or air conditioning. Make contact with your current and also future utility providers and determine what you have to do to be able to ensure a smooth transition.
16. Arrange a move-out cleaning. Once you have everything moved from your old residence, you will likely be too worn out to want to clean. There are cleaning services that focus on vacant residences so think about hiring the cleaning done.
17. Let other folks know your new address. This action could possibly be undertaken when you arrive at your new house, as well. However you will want your friends and relatives to have your new address. Consider sending out a change of address card or at a minimum an e-mail to let everyone know that you have moved.
18. Exchange contact info with your moving van driver. When everything has been packed up and the moving van is ready to head out, be sure and ask the driver for the ETA to your new house and for his mobile phone number. Also provide him with your mobile phone number. You want to have a way to keep in touch whilst everyone is traveling.
19. Schedule a handyman. Be sure and find an experienced handyman once you move to assist with projects such as replacing light fixtures, making basic maintenance tasks or hanging items on the walls.
20. Register to vote and obtain a new driver’s license. Updating your voter registration soon after you move is sensible to enable you to vote in any upcoming elections. Your community library or post office usually can provide more details of how to register. Also, getting a new license is necessary once you've moved to a new state. Check your local DMV webpage to ensure that you have all of the necessary paperwork before you decide to wait in line, as requirements differ from state to state.
Are you ready to move?
A-1 Freeman Moving Group in Killeen would love to help. Simply contact us now to commence with your zero cost in-home or video estimate.
Request a free quote